Name: Alesha Manning
Area of Town (Signal Mountain, Collegedale, etc.): Ridgeside, TN
Name of Dish: Soultree’s Favorite Carrot Cake with Candied Bourbon Pecans
No. of Servings: 8 Makes three 8” rounds (or two 9” rounds)
Ingredients (including quantities) listed in the order they’re used:
--For the Cake--
2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 T Woodford Reserve Bourbon (Optional… kinda! If you MUST, swap it out with Vanilla Extract)
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup olive oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup chopped dates
3 cups carrots, peeled & grated
--For the Frosting—
8oz cream cheese, room temperature
8 T butter, room temperature & cubed by tablespoon
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp milk or cream
--Bourbon Candied Pecans—
1 cup pecans
2 T Woodford Reserve Bourbon
2 T brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8” rounds and line with parchment paper, and then grease parchment paper.
1. In a bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using a hand mixer), beat the olive oil and vegetable oil with both sugars until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the eggs. Incorporating one at a time. Beat well.
4. Add the Woodford Reserve Bourbon.
5. Fold in the carrots, pecans & dates until combined.
6. Bake in prepared 8” cake pans for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from center of cake.
7. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pans and then cool completely on wire rack. Allow to cool thoroughlybefore icing!
8. Ice cake and decorate top of cake with bourbon pecans and fresh flowers
1. In stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip cream cheese and butter until light and a bit fluffy
2. 1 cup at a time, add sifted powdered sugar
3. Continue to whisk and add cream and vanilla extract
Bourbon Candied Pecans
1. Mix all ingredients together and let pecans sit in bourbon mixture for 30 minutes
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
3. Spread pecans on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes
4. Remove from oven and separate pecans with fork while hot
5. Allow to cool completely
6. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week